Greenland Day 13: A day of sea ice

It had been a surprisingly wild night, with some very strong winds but fortunately we were sheltered from the strongest blasts.  We had an early morning walk to the top of the island which gave great views of where we had paddled yesterday and some limited views of todays route.  Most of the ice of yesterday appeared to have disappeared, little did we realize that it was waiting for us, just out of sight.
We headed out of the bay on the western side of Igdluluarssuit Nunatat, where we had spent the night, initially the kayaking was relatively straight forward but as we headed towards the southern point of the ice there was a dramatic increase in the amount of ice. 
Paddling the across the two mile wide gap of the entrance to fjord proved to be quite entertaining!  Huge amounts of ice appeared to have been blown in on last nights wind.  There was no clear route and in some places there wasn’t even enough water to place a paddle, it was necessary to propel yourself forwards by pushing on lumps of ice.  It was for days like this that you come sea kayaking in Greenland.
Eventually the ice thinned out and we were able to make could progress south through Ata Sund with delightful views of Arve Prins Ejland to the west.  We covered another 23 nautical miles today but it was definitely beginning to feel as if we are on the home stretch.
 An early morning walk to the summit of Igdlularssuit Nunatat.  Our route of the previous day had been through the gap on the right of the picture.
 Today’s route, what we couldn’t see was just how much ice there was round to the left.
 Looking towards the ice front front at Eqi.  The front of the glacier is nearly 6 miles away which gives an indication of the scale.
 Heading into the ice.  Initially there were some relatively large bergs as well as the smaller pieces of ice.
The route finding options are closing down for Gordon.
 Alex wondering how we were going to reach the far shore.
 Heading back north in an attempt to find a lead through the ice.
 The view from my kayak.  Progress through ice this thick is pretty challenging.
 After a couple of hours in the ice we eventually found clear water and were able to head south down Ata Sund.
 I can never understand how somebody can make all the effort to reach such a  remote spot and then feel the need to carve their name into the lichen.  It takes years for such a fragile environment to recover.
 Evening sunset at Kugssuaq.